Tuesday 27 August 2013

Beinn Narnain

I had a big think about which hill to do on Sunday. I wanted a longer walk but one that was reasonably close. The two pointer hills could wait til winter for the "idiot bonus", so the Arrochar alps were in scope. I think I have been avoiding them as every time I go, it seems that low clouds come out of nowhere. But the forecast was good so Beinn Narnain it was to be! And a full frontal assault as well to get a bit of light scrambling in.
We had been out the night before so wasn't ready for a super early start. So I left the house just after 10 which on a nice Sunday in August meant I was going to get caught up in a whole pile of traffic going up Loch Lomond - which duly happened. Must get more organised in the mornings. The car park nearest the start of Beinn Narnain was absolutely mobbed and every bit of grass had been taken over. So back a few hundred yards to the other car park slightly closer to Arrochar. Note to self that the charges for parking are now £1 but the bacon butty to get change was welcome. So with all the mucking about it was closer to mid-day before I got started. 

I was soon on the trail. The first part is shared with the path to the Cobbler and as it was a good day it was fairly busy. When I got up to the T-junction where the seat is, I strode off to the right. I could hear someone shuffling about behind me and when I turned round and it was one of the flip-flop brigade. He sheepishly asked me which way to go for the Cobbler and I pointed in the opposite direction. 
After a little bit of hunting, I found the path upwards and headed up through the woods. Having been up the route to the Cobbler I can say that I preferred this one. The views were better, I had the trail to myself and it was a bit more challenging. At one point I just barged on where I though the trail was going through some crags. It is about the bit where second trail from the main path joins up. I ended up scrambling up some rock and at one point I thought I had run out of footholds. Big deep breath. I looked around again and found one that looked OK but was a bit of a reach. Made it over and sat down for a bit to drink. Looked at the map and yes I should have taken a bit of a detour round those particular crags. Still, all experience! 

Carried on upwards and finally got to the start of the Spearhead. The picture doesn't do it justice as it looked a lot more impressive on the way up. The path is fairly obvious through the crags and is a bit of fun. Lots more hands and feet needed on this and the views down appeared to be more close to the vertical. I was soon near the top and met my first people on the path as they were coming down. The top itself is fairly flat and rocky with some great views. The Cobbler was in plain sight and looked absolutely mobbed. Glad I wasn't there as I only had to share Narnain with one other person. 

Set up quickly with the usual VX-6 and GM7GAX was straight on. I am guessing Bobby had followed me on Endomondo. I got informed that Robin and Jack were about as well so I should go after the S2Ss. Had a quick chat with Roddy IOB followed swiftly by GM3YTS which was a new station for the log. A quick scan around and I found Robin and Jack on 400 deep in conversation on camera optics. I put the break in which was quickly acknowledged. Robin PKT was up on Ben Nevis so a good 10 point S2S. He quickly disappeared to scan round some more bands, so I wrapped up my own activation with Jack COX. Another 5 and go for me, but I have plans for something a bit longer coming up soon.

I gulped down some water and headed back via the bealach as I didn't fancy the scrambling in reverse. Really enjoyed Narnain and I gained a lot by coming up the way I did. Just need Ben Vane now to finish off the big hills in the Arrochar alps.







1 comment:

  1. Yes I did..Endo is such a good tool.

    I did this hill on a rainy day, I will return on a sunny day although I prefer the gentler walk up the Coire.
    Thanks for the points !

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete